Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm all in

Rob and I have both been feeling a bit cooped up these days.  Having a baby means you stay home A LOT.  Taking them out places is practically like going on a 3 day trip... you have to pack their bag, load the stroller, grab the toys... did I remember to pack diapers??? I finally understand why new parents are so home-bound.  So on Saturday night we decide to ask some friends with kids (or pregnant) to come to our house for take-out and game night. 

Now normally we would be thinking "hmmm do we have enough beer? Which wine should we open?"  but with one couple pregnant, one couple trying for baby #2 and two breastfeeding mommas alcohol wasn't exactly a priority.. So I set out a nice little tray of nibbles, a few diet cokes, iced tea and water.  Of course the husbands could (and would) drink some cocktails, after all they've all been through recently they deserve it. 

We decide on a local pizza joint to deliver us some yum yum pizzas and salads... we all sit around in our living room gabbering, honestly the converstation was hilarious... here are some snippets:

"yeah so who's gettin any these days?" asks one daddy... the room goes silent until one daddy admits "well we're trying for #2 so...." and all the other dads go crazy high fiving and such...

"you should see what my baby is doing these days! he can stand up alone!" (this daddy is referring to an 8 week old baby who obviously cannot do such a trick)

"hey Andrea, did you have an episiotomy?" (this question is being asked by a daddy while I'm on the phone ordering pizza) "NO" I respond and then this daddy goes on to say "WOW, really?" (what the heck is that supposed to mean??!)

This was a scene straight from some type of movie yet to be made about the realness of becoming a parent.. it just changes you!  You no longer throw back shots of tequila but rather you debate the neccesity of vaccinations or what latest greatest baby toys you'll be purchasing for your lil one this christmas. 

Next we move to our dining room for a game of texas hold'em.  Just a friendly game of poker between friends.  Things start off normal.  My baby is napping, another baby eating a bottle, another baby (well she's 22 months) watching tv and the pregnant couple saying their goodbye's because mama is tired.  As the game gets started... all hell breaks loose. Babies are crying and whining all over the place! Mommas and Daddas are taking turns handing baby back and forth, operating like well oiled machines "here hold him while I shuffle" "warm up the bottle fast... I'm all in!" Mommas are standing up swaying baby to keep them happy while counting their chips.  Daddys are trying to bluff each other while wiping off spit-up from their shoulder... it was classic and chaotic and the most fun I've had in a while.  Had we invited anyone without kids, they surely would have made up a reason to leave early.  Only us parents could have played a game of texas hold'em poker while managing all our babies.  At the end of the night I went "all in" against my own husband all while feeding Adam oatmeal... "more yum yums? open wide!"... I'm quite the multi-tasker these days.

What did I learn after this fun family night? The fun doesn't end once you have kids but its a different type of fun and you find yourself oddly content. As I walked Adam up the stairs to start our night-night time routine, I felt happy and whole... I can have it all,  I can play poker AND be a mommy! 

oh and by the way...Rob beat me on my all in hand!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a perfectly fun night! Good for you!
    You write very well! Nutty

    ReplyDelete